Saturday, August 18, 2012

Living with Asperger's and Not Always Knowing It

I thank Katie Kagan for inviting me. I have Asperger's Syndrome which is a high functioning form of autism. I grew up with this condition, not knowing what it was. I have even held jobs, not knowing what you job is. I have graduated high school, class of 1973, Stevens High School, Claremont NH. I got a job which I have worked at for 5 years at a woven label manufacturer. Afterwards I have pursued training in Electronics Technology. I have since held jobs as a TV technician, a 2-way LMR Radio technician; the peak of my career was an Industrial Test Technician at a battery charger manufacturer. All this time I still didn't know what my condition is. There was co-worker at one of my 2-way shop jobs back in 1985 thought I was autistic; I didn't believe her.
The battery charger manufacture downsized, I have survived several downsizings. Then it downsized once too often. I took a job at Sears Holding / A & E Factory Services as an in home service technician. A problem I had there was my limited ability to deal with customers. I knew I had that problem; but thought God got me the job and was gonna let me succeed. I was terminated 8-23-2007, not over misconduct, but found not able to do the required duties.
Facing a tough job market I have figured I would need some help from Voc Rehab. My mom remembered that I was diagnosed with "Asperger's Syndrome." This also meant that I needed to become an expert on this  subject quickly. Nebraska Voc Rehab hired a psychologist who has re-diagnosed me with Asperger's Syndrome, an anxiety disorder and some depression. By the way, Dr Caryll Palmer Wilson also has AS.
I have taken some, what I can get jobs; a mama and papa micro-manufacturer of cable harnesses.
Oct 31, 2011 I have taken a job at Tenneco Automotive, where I am working at now, finally restored to having a halfway decent livable wage and medical insurance benefits.
Here is my most recent autism awareness song, my 5th autism awareness song, also a goal for April 2012, Autism Awareness month, I Have a Handicap.
I have a video where I explained about living with Asperger's Syndrome, with a singing of I've Gotta Be Me, a Sammy Davis Jr classic. I apologize I had some problem loading up video; need to re-load or re-record when I can find way to make it not do it. Ultimately, I've Gotta Be Me; somewhat different.

No comments:

Post a Comment